The Commission’s Legal Department had been set up to:
- Investigate gender related complaints.
- Evaluate laws, customs, practices and Indigenous law, personal and family law affecting gender equality or status of women that are in force or proposed by Parliament.
- Recommend to parliament the adoption of laws that will promote gender equality and status of women.
- Monitor compliance with international conventions, covenants and International Charters acceded and ratified by the government that have a bearing on the object of the CGE.
- Make Contribution / submission to law making process especially in laws that affect women adversely and have a bearing on gender equality in South Africa.
The Legal Department inducted the participants on the use of Complaint Forms used during an interview with the Complainant.