For Immediate Release: 10 October 2014
To: Editors: Reporters and Producers
CGE and Isikhalo dialogue on the grievance letter
On 10 October 2014 the Commission for Gender Equality (CGE) hosted a dialogue to discuss issues of gender equality, allegations of lack of equality of opportunity for men as well as the abuse of men, all of which were raised by Isikhalo Samadoda National and Social Imbalances in their letter of complaint to the Commission.
Isikhalo Samadoda had also alleged that gender equality matters favour women at the expense of men. The same letter was also addressed to the Presidency and the Department of Justice and Correctional Services.
This dialogue was in partnership with the Portfolio Committee of Women in the Presidency, Sonke Gender Justice, KwaZulu Natal Progressive Women’s Movement in South Africa, the KwaZulu Natal Legislature, the KwaZulu Natal Men’s Forum, and the Lesbian and Gay Community Health Centre.
Issues were frankly raised and discussed in the meeting in an open and transparent manner and various organisation entities responded to these raised by Isikhalo Samadoda National and Social Imbalances. The Chairperson of the Portfolio of Committee in the Presidency of Women, the Honourable T.C Memela stated as follows:
“The country will never be the same again. It’s about time that men learn to respect women”
It was clearly pronounced that everyone should respect the rule of law as well as the hard earned formation of South Africa’s democratic dispensation which strives to achieve human dignity for all.
It was eventually agreed that this should be an ongoing dialogue, engagement; education and awareness initiative between the respective organisations to ensure that there are continuous joint discussions to forge a way forward to achieve equality for all in South Africa.
Representatives from the above named organisations cited in this statement can be contacted as follows:
- Mfanozelwe Shozi, Chairperson of the Commission for Gender Equality (CGE) – 0114037182 / 0823998192
- Honourable T.C Memela, Chairperson of the Portfolio Committee of Women in the Presidency – 0826104777
- Patrick Godana, Governance and Media Manager for Sonke Gender Justice – 0722334560
- Sbo Nhlapho, Provincial Co-Convenor for the KwaZulu Natal Progressive Women’s Movement in South Africa – 0721885778
- Nkanyiso Ntuli, KwaZulu Natal Legislature – 0795113162
- Sipho Zuma, Isikhalo Samadoda National and Social Imbalances – 0783949624
- Thulani Mthalane, KwaZulu Natal Men’s Forum – 0721112112
- Nonhlanhla Mkhize, Lesbian and Gay Community Health Centre – 031-3127402
Issued by: Commission for Gender Equality (CGE)
Date: 10 October 2014
Contact Person: Javu Baloyi
Tel: 083 579 3306
The Commission for Gender Equality is established in terms of Section 187 of the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa in order to promote respect for gender equality and the protection, development